Jude Lobe Artist Statement
Cold Wax is my favorite medium. I work as a graphic designer and visual artist. Nature is my muse. My cold wax paintings, enamels, copper and wood sculptures are all inspired by the natural environment. My desire is to capture the emotion of a scene with texture, brush strokes, glazes and colors chosen from the palette of the environment I’m painting. It’s the memory of the place or experience that I want to express. The process begins with a walk outside, then followed with quick sketches and color notes. Then back at the studio I begin to paint the images I remember.
This year my theme continues to be earth and sky and the connections between us and the natural world. Cold wax and oil affords the opportunity to bring texture into my paintings. It also shows a history of the painting by building up layers, obscuring what’s beneath, and removing layers to reveal bits of past layers. It represents the history of a life that becomes the compilation of bits and pieces of it’s past experiences. But my attraction to textures is moving me to add more textile to my art. Thus I am adding rusted silk to my mediums. In these new pieces I am combining the coldness of rusted iron with the warmth of heated forged copper, seemingly opposite forces. Two opposites actually attract and complement each other, existing in harmony, and they are interconnected in the natural world symbolized by the yin and yang.
RECENT AWARDS & JURIED SHOWS
- Region In my Mind • Accepted in 7th Annual Tony Snow: Eye of the Artist Juried Show 2017
- 1st Place in 2D – Standing Tall – Alamance Artisans Guild at Center for Creative Leadership, 5/2016
- Beauty & the Peace • Accepted in Nat’l Juried Show 2015 Bank of the Arts Annual Juried Exhibition
- 1st Place – Where Buffalo Roam • Enamel and copper • ArtFest 2012 Fine Art Competition
- Cedars Watching Sunset • Accepted in Nat’l Juried Show, Dimensions 2012
- Three artworks purchased by Alamance Regional Hospital Artworks in a Rockefeller family collection
- Joe Thompson portrait, Mebane Public Library
UNWRITTEN THOUGHTS: Fine & Folk Art Gallery, Mebane, NC, opening reception, August 3rd, 4:30 – 6:30 pm.
ART EXTRAVAGANZA: I will have a booth with 29 other artists. Vailtree Event Center, Oct. 20 & 21, 2018.
VIEW SLIDESHOW: Click on any thumbnail below.