Nancy Smith Artist Statement
Drawing and creating different textures is my favorite approach to creating art. As a teen, I loved nothing more than going to a cloth store to study all the patterns, colors and textures and then figuring out how to combine them. Working with watermedia and collage reminds me of that experience.
When people observe my paintings they often discover elements they overlooked at first glance. I want my paintings to remind them that beauty exists not only on the surface but also in the deep dark places of oneself.
Working as an artist is very similar to my work as a psychotherapist. Doing each requires that I follow what’s happening in the present moment. I may have an idea about how to intervene but often a client or a painting will end up in a completely different place than I had anticipated. It’s always a better place than I had imagined.
CLICK arrow to hear NANCY SMITH talk about how the Outer Banks inspires her.
RECENT AWARDS & JURIED SHOWS
• Durham Art Guild 66th Annual Juried Show- SunTrust Art Gallery, Durham, NC 2020
• Women Speak -Orange County Arts Commission- Grant Award- 2018
• Durham Art Guild Members Show- SunTrust Gallery- Durham, NC Merit Award 2018
• Resolutions - Hillsborough Gallery of Art- Hillsborough, NC 2018
• Winners Circle- 311 Gallery — Raleigh, NC 2017
• Resolutions- Hillsborough Gallery of Art — Hillsborough, NC 2016
• Eggistentialism- 311 Gallery- Raleigh, NC, 1st Place Award 2016
Author of Women Speak: Poetry, Portraits and Prose of the Feminine Experience
Orange County Artists Guild since 2012